The Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan has taken a significant step towards fostering international cooperation in education by awarding the prestigious Allama Iqbal Scholarship to 91 bright Sri Lankan students. This scholarship initiative, falling under the Pak-Sri Lanka Higher Education Cooperation Programme, aims to promote academic excellence and cultural exchange between Sri Lanka and Pakistan. With this initiative, Pakistani universities open their doors to international students, offering a unique opportunity for Sri Lankan scholars to pursue higher education in Pakistan.
Promoting Global Education – Allama Iqbal Scholarship
The Allama Iqbal Scholarship program, spread over five years, is designed to welcome 1000 Sri Lankan students to Pakistan. Under this initiative, students can explore a diverse range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degree programs. The fields of study available include Engineering Sciences, Basic and Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences, providing a comprehensive and holistic learning experience.
A Competitive Selection Process
The scholarship program garnered an overwhelming response from Sri Lankan students, with 525 applicants vying for a place in Medical, Engineering, BS, MS, and PhD programs for the Fall 2020/Spring 2021 sessions. To ensure a fair and competitive selection process, a distinguished selection board was constituted, comprising officials from HEC Pakistan, Pakistan High Commission (PHC) Colombo, and the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Sri Lanka.
After a rigorous shortlisting and online interview process, 91 exceptional students emerged victorious, securing their place to study in prestigious Pakistani universities.
Embarking on an Academic Journey in Pakistan
The selected Sri Lankan students have commenced their educational journey, with 27 scholars already arriving in major Pakistani cities like Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi, and Sukkur. These enthusiastic young minds are thrilled to join their respective universities, eager to experience the rich cultural heritage and warm hospitality of Pakistan.
Distinguished Pakistani Universities – The Learning Hubs
The Allama Iqbal Scholarship recipients have the privilege of studying in some of Pakistan’s leading universities, each renowned for its academic excellence and state-of-the-art facilities. Here are the esteemed institutions that the Sri Lankan scholars will attend:
- COMSATS University, Islamabad: Known for its exceptional research and technological advancements, COMSATS offers a wide array of programs in various disciplines.
- Fatima Jinnah Women University, Rawalpindi: A pioneering institution empowering women through education and fostering gender equality in academia.
- Government College University, Lahore: With a rich history of academic excellence, this institution offers a diverse range of programs to cater to students’ interests.
- Hazara University, Mansehra: Nestled in the picturesque region of Hazara, this university provides a serene yet intellectually stimulating environment for students.
- Islamic International University, Islamabad: Committed to promoting Islamic values and global harmony, this university offers diverse programs.
- Institute of Management Sciences, Peshawar: Known for producing top-notch business leaders, this institute offers cutting-edge management programs.
- Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro: A hub of innovation and technology, this university caters to students with a passion for engineering and technology.
- NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi: With a legacy of producing skilled engineers, NED is a prestigious institution in Pakistan.
- National University of Sciences and Technology, Islamabad: Renowned for its focus on science and technology, NUST equips students with skills for a dynamic future.
- Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad: Named after the founding father of Pakistan, this university is dedicated to academic excellence and research.
- Sukkur IBA University, Sukkur: Known for its business and administrative programs, Sukkur IBA is a preferred choice for many students.
- University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila: A center of excellence for engineering studies, UET Taxila is a preferred destination for aspiring engineers.
- University of the Punjab (UoP), Lahore: One of Pakistan’s oldest and most prestigious universities, UoP boasts a rich history and diverse programs.
The Essence of Allama Iqbal Scholarship – Fostering Global Bonds
The Allama Iqbal Scholarship aims to go beyond academic achievements and foster cultural understanding and appreciation between Sri Lankan and Pakistani students. By immersing themselves in a foreign academic setting, the scholars can gain valuable insights into different cultures, traditions, and ways of life, paving the way for long-lasting friendships and collaborations.
Advantages of Studying in Pakistan for Sri Lankan Students
Studying in Pakistan offers a plethora of benefits for international students, particularly those from Sri Lanka. The country’s affordable and high-quality education, coupled with the warm and welcoming nature of its people, creates a conducive environment for academic growth and personal development.
Moreover, Pakistan’s diverse landscapes and rich history add to the overall experience of studying in the country. The scholars have the opportunity to explore the vibrant cities, breathtaking landscapes, and historical landmarks during their stay, enriching their learning journey beyond the confines of the classroom.
The Allama Iqbal Scholarship’s implementation by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan is a commendable step towards promoting educational collaboration between Pakistan and Sri Lanka. This initiative not only provides an exceptional learning opportunity for Sri Lankan students but also strengthens the bonds of friendship and understanding between the two nations.
The scholarship recipients will undoubtedly contribute to the academic and cultural tapestry of Pakistan, fostering a global community of scholars dedicated to shaping a brighter future. As they embark on their academic journey in prestigious Pakistani universities, they will not only gain knowledge but also create memories that will last a lifetime.